Saturday, December 17, 2011

Goodreads Book Review - Shadow Raiders

Shadow Raiders: Book 1 of the Dragon BrigadeShadow Raiders: Book 1 of the Dragon Brigade by Margaret Weis

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I've been a fan of Margaret Weis for almost twenty years and have read almost all of her novels, whether they've been ones she's written herself or with her frequent writing partner Tracy Hickman or other partners like Don Perrin and have, for the most part, enjoyed them thoroughly. So, having said that, I feel like I have to blame the fact that this book broke that streak on her partner this time around, Robert Krammes. Don't get me wrong, the book isn't all bad. There are likeable characters here and there, especially the Sherlock Holmes-style investigation team of Father Jacob, Sir Ander, and Brother Barnaby, and there are a couple of thrilling sequences peppered throughout the book. Those sequences, though are linked by scores and scores of dull pages cluttered with an over-reliance on clunky, repetitive exposition that took me out of the story by boring me to tears. I know there will be another book in the series and I honestly don't think I want to read it, but I probably will, just in hopes that Weis' talent will shine through more next time around.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment