Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Goodreads Book Review - Tough Sh*t: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good

Tough Sh*t: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did GoodTough Sh*t: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good by Kevin Smith

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I have to admit, while this book was funny, I was expecting more of the behind the scenes stories, candor, and humor we saw in the "An Evening with Kevin Smith" videos and less the self-congratulatory, "I changed things" Kevin Smith stories we got here. Which, to be fair, was all my unfounded expectations. He did change things, so it's only to be expected he'd talk about it. And there are behind the scenes stories, but they're less funny and more just factual. Still, the book did make me laugh. I just wish there were more topics covered... seriously, three long chapters on Red State is too much focus on one thing for a man whose career is twenty years long now... and I wouldn't have minded if the whole "Too Fat to Fly" topic was left out completely; that story has been covered to death already. Still, he writes with an honesty about everything that can be both enjoyed and appreciated, as can his self-deprecating comments about himself. More than anything, it seemed to me the main goal of the book, above information and comedy was inspiration; Smith wants to inspire a new generation of not just filmmakers but creators, and that is to be commended, respected, and supported.



View all my reviews

Thirty-one books now. Being sick has helped me burn through a few pretty quick the last few days. I'm going to need more to get me through til the almost-end of April when this is over with, and people have stopped making recommendations. This could be problematic...

No comments:

Post a Comment