Thursday, May 10, 2012

Goodreads Book Review - Another Bullshit Night in Suck City

Another Bullshit Night in Suck CityAnother Bullshit Night in Suck City by Nick Flynn

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


This was the first book in the Recommended Reading Challenge I'm doing, where, for a calendar year, I'm only reading books that other people recommend to me. With that said... we are not off to a very auspicious start.

I hated this book with a passion. Sure, there were a few good passages here and there, wedged between pages and pages of filler (seriously, four pages of nothing but all the different expressions there are for drinking? Was he paid by the word or just by the page?), but for the most part I felt it was a meandering account of the like of a horrible, unlikeable person and how he related to his father, another horrible person. The only thing that bothered me more than how reprehensible these two people are is how the author tries to pass off how horrible he is as a person as some kind of great commentary on life and human nature, and I'm just not buying it. In fact, I was a little insulted. This really is a book I just never want to think about again.



View all my reviews

The next book on the list is Boy's Life by Robert McCammon. Hopefully this will be a better experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment