Thursday, June 21, 2012

Goodreads Book Review - Outliers: The Story of Success

Outliers: The Story of SuccessOutliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


There were a few interesting ideas in here, quite a few fascinating patterns pointed out, but for the most part, I was just bored. Part of that, I'm sure, is due to my natural disinterest in anything that isn't fiction; I love fiction. I'm a fiction writer, and so, I'm a fiction reader. Part of that boredom, it must be said, also probably stemmed from what, to me, seems to be the point of the book. As I read and understood it, the point Gladwell wanted to get across was that in order to be successful, it isn't enough to just be smart and/or talented. You also need to come from the right background at the right time and be given the right opportunity. In short, luck has just as much, if not more, to do with success as intelligence, talent, and hard work.

Honestly, as someone who has never had any luck but bad luck, I could have told you that without having to read this book.



View all my reviews

This was the third book in my Recommended Reading Challenge. I'd tell you what the next one will be, but I'm waiting to have it delivered to me by the person who recommended it, and she hasn't even told me the name of it yet! So I guess you'll be in suspense until it's done!

No comments:

Post a Comment