Sunday, October 14, 2012

Goodreads Book Review: The First Confessor - The Legend of Magda Searus

The First Confessor (The Legend of Magda Searus, #1)The First Confessor by Terry Goodkind

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


I haven't been this disappointed in a book in a long, long time. I've been a devoted fan of Terry Goodkind and the Sword of Truth series for eleven years now. Some of the books in that series are easily my favorite books ever... and some of them, towards the end, drop off in quality considerably. Sadly, that trend continues here. The prose in this book is boring. What's worse than the boredom of it all, though, is the unending repetition. The same explanations are given page after page, chapter after chapter, as answered to the same questions asked over and over again by the same characters. As an intelligent reader, i found that not only did that cast the intelligence of the characters in a bad light, making them all seem dense at best and completely stupid at worst, I also found it insulting to my own intelligence. That much explanation to things... I'm talking pages and pages and pages... is just unnecessary and kills some of the more fanciful aspects of the story that don't actually have to be explained. The plot was also transparent, with everything about it easily predictable. The characters were cutout copies of Goodkind's earlier characters, and the love story was completely unemotional and unbelievable. And don't get me started on the inclusion of zombies... in short, there was absolutely nothing about this book I enjoyed.



View all my reviews

The Recommended Reading Challenge hits thirteen books with this very, very bad reading experience. I need more books, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment