Saturday, March 16, 2013

Goodreads Book Review - Bury Elminster Deep

Bury Elminster Deep (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #7)Bury Elminster Deep by Ed Greenwood

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


I've always been a fan of Ed Greenwood, and of Elminster and the Chosen of Mystra especially. So really, I should love this book... but instead it gets two stars, like its predecessor, Elminster Must Die. In response to a comment my friend left when I rated that book, this is how I replied, summarizing the problems I had with that book: "I liked most of the Elminster books, but he's always had a bad habit of coming up with the most ridiculous names for supporting characters, having too many supporting characters, and focusing on them way more than he focuses on the characters people by the books for, and those bad habits are way out of control in this one." I include that here because this book is just more of the same. The main characters are included less than the supporting characters, pretty much all of who are remarkably unlikeable, while the main characters... the ones we care about... chase their tail in an ouroboros of a plot that doesn't really go anywhere except for the last fifty or so pages. If I wasn't so invested in the characters and the Forgotten Realms setting after twenty years of reading, this book might have been my dropping-off point, but since I am, well, I'll have to read the next one and just hope it improves.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment