Thursday, July 11, 2013

Goodreads Book Review - Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi - Into the Void

Into the Void (Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi, #1)Into the Void by Tim Lebbon

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I'm torn. On the one hand, I want to like this book. A story set thousands of thousands of years in the past of the universe we know, back when the Jedi were called Je'daii, used swords because lightsabers hadn't been invented yet, and believed the power of the Force's light and dark sides were controlled by two moons sounds interesting as hell, and seeing some of that in action is enjoyable. But, those differences aside, it doesn't really explore much. The alien species are mostly the same; there are Sith, Noghri, Ithorians, Wookies, and Twilek's, but not much we haven't seen before. Likewise, while the history of the Je'daii is teased, nothing is really explained. I don't know how much of that I can blame on the writer and how much was editorially mandated, so I'm trying not to hold that against the story. So instead, what I'll hold against it are the completely unlikable main characters and the hackneyed, repetitive writing. It's worth a read if your a Star Wars completionist, or if you're hoping the story might go further in a future installment, but other than that, it isn't all that great a read.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment