Sunday, June 30, 2013

Goodreads Book Review - The Ocean at the End of the Lane

The Ocean at the End of the LaneThe Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


When I write a book review, I always try to look for a hook, something that will make it stand out from the average book review. This effort is of course met with varying levels of success. I do this because I don't want to just sit here and write things like, "this book is filled with memorable characters" or "the plot, while simple, is also magical, and the prose is just replete with little bits of wisdom about childhood, life, and growing up" or "even though the mysteries of the story are for the most part unexplained, that lack of explanation is part of the magic; it all makes more than enough sense as it is while leaving plenty to think about and plenty open to interpretation." No, I don't want to just say boring things like that to explain why I give a book five stars. I'd rather have a hook, but I was having a hard time coming up with a hook for this review, until I was struck by the simplest of three word answers. Why did I give this book five stars?

It's Neil Gaiman.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment