Sunday, October 6, 2013

Goodreads Book Review - The Silver Linings Playbook

The Silver Linings PlaybookThe Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This is one of those very rare times when I actually thought the movie was better than the book... but this review is about the book, so I'll stick to that. I enjoyed the plot and the characters, although as the story is told from Pat's perspective, all the characters except him and maybe his mother really get stuck with the short straw in terms of characterization. The other drawback to the first-person narration is that since it's Pat's and he's basically nuts, it's a very simple and very repetitive writing style that can get a little boring. The novel also has a very abrupt ending that is sort of anti-climactic after what comes before it, but overall it was still an enjoyable enough read... that was completely eclipsed by the movie.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment