Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Goodreads Book Review - Infinite Jest

Infinite JestInfinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


I majored in English in college. That means I spent an awful lot of time reading books that I was only reading because other people had picked them out for the literary value they thought they had. Sometimes I was reading three or four of these at once. Some of them i enjoyed. Some of them I never would have read if I didn't have to because there wasn't a thing about them I liked. When I graduated, I decided from then on I'd only read books I wanted to read because I thought I'd enjoy them. If I took recommendations from people, I'd only read books other people said they legitimately enjoyed, not because they thought the book had "literary value," or whatever. I broke that rule with Infinite Jest. I read it because of how it's supposed to be the greatest book in a generation or something. i don't know if it's deserving of that milestone, but one milestone it definitely has is that it's the first book in at least a decade I gave up on and didn't finish reading. The pretention behind the writing style just annoys the hell out of me. Fun ideas or not, i just can't do it. Maybe another time. But I doubt it.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment