Monday, December 9, 2013

Goodreads Book Review - The Necromancer's House

The Necromancer's HouseThe Necromancer's House by Christopher Buehlman

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I picked this book up on a whim, having never heard of it or the author before, just because I really needed something to read. It's a decision I'm glad I made. The present tense narration is a welcome change from the norm, as is the way Buehlman modernizes the use of magic for his characters without beating us over the head with too much information. The novel can be a bit tricky as he juggles quite a few plot threads; there are a lot of balls in the air throughout the story but they all come to a pretty masterful head in the climax and the denouement. There are a few leaps that make things confusing for a brief second in parts, but the ship is always quickly righted. I also enjoyed all the characters and the way they're presented, good guys, bad guys, and mythical guys all. I haven't yet decided if the book was good enough to make me read the other novels Buehlman has written as I understand they aren't of the same subject matter at all, but who knows, maybe his name will come to mind the next time I'm book-shopping on a whim...



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment