Thursday, September 10, 2015

Goodreads Book Review - Vengeance of the Iron Dwarf

Vengeance of the Iron DwarfVengeance of the Iron Dwarf by R.A. Salvatore
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I feel like my Salvatore reviews tend to get pretty repetitive. Praise the action scenes, praise the characters, mention how much it left me looking forward to the next one, wash, rinse, repeat. And all of those things apply to my thoughts on this installment in the Legend of Drizzt. My problem with this book, however, is the separation of some of the main characters. After a series of books in which most of the characters we've come to know and love are dead and gone, they're brought back and reunited, giving us a chance to once again enjoy the characters and camaraderie we've come to expect from the Companions of the Hall... and instead we get a book in which Wulfgar and Regis only share a half-page scene with the other characters, a situation furthermore worsened by how much time Drizzt spends away from Bruenor and Catti-brie, especially during the climactic battle and long, drawn out battles that follow. It leads to a book that isn't as good as the two in this series that preceded it, but with its promise of a focus on Gromph in Archmage left me waiting for the next installment anyway.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment