Saturday, October 1, 2011

Fiction Fridays - A Day Late and a Story Short

Yes, I know. It's Saturday. I was prevented from doing any sort of writing for a Fiction Friday post yesterday by a scorching hangover, and again today by events out of my control that I'd rather not dwell on. So while there won't be any new fiction posted by me until next Friday, I didn't want to just skip this week. Instead, I'm posting a glimpse of the planning I do behind the scenes for the ridiculous story ideas that come into my head.

Click to enlarge

The above is the beginnings of a color-coded family tree for the royal family from a story about an elven kingdom I started writing last year. Only six of the thirteen characters listed above actually appear in the story; the reason I had to do something like this (other than the fact that I enjoy it) is that one of the key story elements is a prophecy that concerns events that befall three separate generations of families... so honestly, I have to go back even further. Eventually I'll get around to posting parts of what exists of that story so far, I'm just delayed by the fact that it was all hand-written over two different notepads and I've just never been in the mood to type it up. It'll happen someday. Until then, enjoy this little peek, and there will be more fiction next Friday, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment