Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Goodreads Book Review - Neverwinter

Neverwinter (Forgotten Realms: Neverwinter, #2)Neverwinter by R.A. Salvatore

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I hate to say it, but I think this is the first time I've ever been disappointed by one of Salvatore's novels. By now we all know his reputation as being the best at writing fight scenes, but I think he falls prey to his own hype here too much; the book is filled with battles to the detriment of any actual character development beyond the obvious and superficial. On a personal note, I suppose I'm not yet used to the new reality the story has moved into, and the things I miss detract from my enjoyment. My other real gripe with the story is that while this is clearly a continuation of Gauntlgrym, for the whole first half of the book, Drizzt's part of the story has nothing to do with the events of that book and actually detract from the continuing story. In many ways, this story belongs to Barrabus the Gray, which I am fine with. To avoid spoilers, I'll say that things heated up for me in chapter fifteen, and the last seventy-five pages or so were good enough to save the novel for me. I can only hope the next installment sees Salvatore revert to form.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment