Saturday, March 22, 2014

Goodreads Book Review - Dark Places

Dark PlacesDark Places by Gillian Flynn

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Having now finished reading Gillian Flynn's body of work, I can safely say I worry about her state of mind, because she has got some dark places of her own in her head. Good thing for us readers though, as those dark places have led to some really good books, and this is no exception, although it is in my opinion the weakest of the three. The bouncing around from first person narration to multiple third person point of views is interesting but also off-putting; getting really into one point of view only to have it switch on a cliffhanger and not go back to that section for awhile can be a little distracting. Also, all the characters in the book are a little rough and hard to like, but that isn't always a bad thing as it makes them feel a bit more real, because let's face it, most people aren't always the easiest to like. The story itself was an interesting one with plenty of twists, most of them good and hard to predict, including the ending, which, while not out of nowhere when you look back at it, was still too coincidental. I can't say anymore without spoilers. I would definitely recommend this one to fans of her other books.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment