Friday, July 18, 2014

Goodreads Book Review - The Sentinel

The Sentinel (The Sundering, #5)The Sentinel by Troy Denning

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


It was Troy Dennings' Avatar Trilogy, which I completely loved, that got me into the Forgotten Realms a good twenty years ago, so every time I see a book from him in that setting come out I get a little excited. This book then was just a bit of a letdown. It certainly has it's strengths; after the last book in The Sundering series stepped away from the main plot this one steps back into it with a vengeance, which is nice. It also has very strong characters who all stand out, very exciting action scenes, and a plot that is fun and takes its fair share of turns. However, everything feels way too rushed. The book itself is shorter than average, but it's more than that. There are time jumps, sometimes massive, between just about every chapter after the first three or four, and it makes the growth in the characters' relationships feel unearned, which subtracts a bit from the emotional climaxes in the fairly rushed ending. Still, I enjoyed the book well enough and was pulled along deeply enough to knock it out in three days.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment