Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Goodreads Book Review - Academ's Fury

Academ's Fury (Codex Alera, #2)Academ's Fury by Jim Butcher

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The second book in the Codex Alera series is definitely an improvement over the first book, but it's nowhere near as good as the stories Butcher is able to craft in the Dresden Files series. Tavi's second adventure feels a little repetitive... it begins with him in over his head, a mystery to investigate, betrayals, chance encounters, etc... which I know can be said of any story, but it felt very noticeable to me here. Formulaic, even. But it was still an entertaining read, and the way the world is expanded adds a lot to the story. The climax was fairly thrilling, and it hints at things that I thought I had figured out but that I clearly got wrong, so the mystery is there as well. I'm looking forward to what happens next... but I'm not pulled along enough to not take a break between part two and three to read something else.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment