Saturday, September 17, 2011

Breaking the Circle

Okay, so, full disclosure? I've been hungover as hell all day, which is weird, because I don't think I actually drank that much last night... anyway, because of the happy combination of a hangover and exhaustion and me starting this at four minutes after midnight, if this blog lacks that certain je ne sais quoi, well, tough.

Plus, I'm totally being distracted by this on TV right now:

Welcome to Good Burger, home of the Good Burger, can I take your order?
 
Anyway, it's a well-known fact that I watch a lot of television, and people often ask me what I think of different shows. With that in mind, and with the new season starting up, I've decided to blog my opinions about the new TV shows I start watching, like I did with Ringer the other day. And sometimes I'll talk about the returning favorites too. Such as The Vampire Diaries, which I've always been a big fan of. Ridiculous name aside, this show just started it's third season and hasn't had a bad episode yet. It's easily my favorite part of the vampire wave around; of course it's better than Twilight because, even though some of the vampires are able to walk in the sun, they don't friggin' sparkle. While True Blood might get the edge in shock value, sex, and gore, it's been a mess in terms of story and characters for the last two years while TVD has believeable characters and a tight storyline that just keeps growing and growing.
 
So, because of my fondness for TVD, when I learned the creators of the show had another new show starting this season, I ignored the way the commercials triggered my spider-sense and watched the premier of The Secret Circle anyway. I'll let this clip describe how I felt about my decision after I watched the show. 

 
Just awful. Every single cliche you can think of... dead parents, parents with secrets, the bitchy high school girl, the list goes on... was pretty much just thrown into a big bowl of awful and served cold. And don't get me started on the acting. Even the star, Britt Robertson, was terrible, and I've loved her in everything else I've seen her in (seriously, the CW cancelled Life Unexpected and put her in this instead? That's a move so stupid I'd almost think someone from Fox made the decision...).
 
Next time I want to see witches, I'll just watch The Craft, which this show is pretty clearly ripping off in, like, every conceivable way. The Secret Circle gets the dubious honor of being the first show cut from my viewing schedule. And I'm pretty sure it won't be the last; I'm looking at you, Playboy Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment