Tuesday, September 20, 2011

How I Met Your Monday Night Line-Up

Remember how I said a lot of my blogs will probably be written in a hungover haze? This is going to be one of those.


For the last few years, Monday nights have been the biggest TV night of the week for me, with as many as six shows I was watching at one point. Last night was no exception, with four different shows on my schedule making their season premieres (with two more scheduled to start in the next month or so, so I'm back up to six). The first was returning fave How I Met Your Mother, which is both my favorite comedy on right now and the burr in the saddle of my life all at the same time. One the one hand, just tell me who the friggin' mother is already! And on the other hand, once we know who the mother is... good-bye, favorite comedy, in all likelihood.

Frustration, thy name is Mosby.

 
My new favoritest picture ever.

(For a great article on HIMYM and just how awesome the storytelling on that show is, go here: The Next "Lost" Has Been Here All Along because, let's face it, it probably does a better job of praising the show than I could right now.)

After HIMYM, I checked out the new show, 2 Broke Girls. Full disclosure? I was only watching it because I think Kat Dennings is both gorgeous and talented (and if you've seen the pictures of her that popped up a year ago, you've seen quite a bit of her talents), so imagine my surprise when it actually had me full-on belly-laughing at a few points. Sure, her character got all the good lines and the rest of the show needs some work, but it was enough to get me to come back next week.

The next new show I checked out, The Playboy Club, did not fair nearly as well. I made it through about twenty minutes before the fight between plot, dialogue, and acting over which was the more abysmally awful made it too painful to watch anymore. Not even the amazingly sexy and lesbianic Amber Heard could save this show.


I'm really hoping The Playboy Club makes like Lonestar did last year and becomes the first show of the season to get cancelled after like three episodes. It joins The Secret Circle in getting removed off my list.

Lastly, Castle's fourth season premiered last night. Back when this show started as a mid-season replacement back in March of 2009, as much as I liked it, I figured it wasn't going to last. Boy, am I glad I was wrong. I honestly think it's become one of the best shows on television, and the finale last season was honestly my favorite season finale of the year. Aside from just how awesome Nathan Fillion is, the rest of the cast is fantastic. Also, and I can't stress this enough, one of the show's greatest strength is that they learned a lesson from Moonlighting: keep the romance between the leads unconsummated at all costs! As much as we want them to get together while we watch, once they do, the show fundamentally changes, and probably not for the better. Just look at how bad House got when House and Cuddy finally got together. Ugh.

Also, I caught the Charlie Sheen Roast... all I really have to say is that WIlliam Shatner, Patrice O'Neal, and whoever wrote Mike Tyson's material were pretty funny; the rest of the show was definitely not #winning.

(Additional note: After trying to watch the second episode of Ringer tonight, that got cut as well, making 2 Broke Girls the only new show out of four so far this season to actually survive so far.)

No comments:

Post a Comment