Monday, September 10, 2012

Goodreads Book Review - 11/22/63

11/22/6311/22/63 by Stephen King

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Like most of King's books, this one isn't actually about what it says it's about. On the surface, it's about a man who finds a way to travel through time who wants to stop the Kennedy assassination. And while it is about that, what it's really about is the joy of living in a simpler time, about finding life, love, and happiness wherever you are. All good science fiction has that duality in what it's about; it's the genre's greatest strength when done right. While I loved a lot of this book, loved it enough to give it four stars, that duality is actually a problem here. The characters King creates in those aspects of life and love are so well done, so fleshed out and loveable, that when the book veers away from them and touches on the actual historical events and the life of Lee Harvey Oswald... well, honestly, I was bored. I couldn't wait to get back to King's original characters and their lives. A blessing and a curse, I suppose, but either way, a very enjoyable read.



View all my reviews

The ninth book in the challenge is done, and I really enjoyed this one, so much so that I read it in three days while bed-ridden. I have to see what the next book would be, especially considering I'll be stuck in bed another day at least, maybe two, so if you have any, don't be shy!

No comments:

Post a Comment