Sunday, December 2, 2012

A Stormtrooper's Christmas Soundtrack

Here at Stormtrooper, I have a bit of a tradition of doing Christmas-themed posts in December (last year there was a post about what I watch to get into the Christmas spirit [plus Gremlins and Santa Clause, which for some reason I forgot all about] and another reviewing the Batman Christmas special that came out last year). Okay, so last year was only the first year I did it and it was only two posts, that's why I said it's a bit of a tradition and not a full-fledged Charlie Brown Christmas kind of tradition, cut me some slack here.


Good grief.

For the first (and potentially only, I'm not sure yet) Christmas post this year, I've decided to turn my attention to music and list some of my favorite holiday tracks. Fair warning: don't expect Bing Crosby or any of his ilk on here; I have nothing against the classics, they're classics for a reason, but as my thirty-second Christmas on this earth approaches, I'm just tired of them. So this list of twenty-five songs instead features covers of classic songs by contemporary artists as well as new songs by contemporary artists... and, okay, maybe one or two classics as well.

Oh, in the interest of full disclosure, early last week before my new employment started, I put together a holiday playlist on Spotify of eighty-nine songs. If the list of highlights you're about to read puts you in a curious kind of mood and you'd like to see what else is on there, let me know and I'll see about getting you the full playlist. It has followers already and everything, so it can't be THAT bad.

The list isn't in any kind of order, but it's only fair to start off with the song that motivated me to do this, which is why it's also the only song I'm posting the video for (you can YouTube all the other ones yourself, don't be lazy!): All I Need is Love by CeeLo Green, featuring Disney's The Muppets!


 
Okay, the actual video wouldn't work. But that's just as good. Anyway, here's the rest of the list, in no certain order... twenty-five songs for twenty-five days of Christmas! Yesterday counts, damn it!

2. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) – U2
3. Christmas Wrapping – The Waitresses
4. Yule Shoot Your Eye Out – Fall Out Boy
5. Ex-Miss – New Found Glory
6. I Won’t Be Home for Christmas – Blink-182
7. Forget December – Something Corporate
8. My December  - Linkin Park
9. Do They Know It’s Christmas? – Band Aid
10. I’ll Be Home for Christmas – Matchbook Romance
11. Christmastime is Here – Gatsby’s American Dream
12. A Wonderful Christmas Time - June
13. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas – Daphne Loves Derby
14. Christmas Song – Alvin and the Chipmunks
15. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings – Barenaked Ladies
16. Jingle Bells – Lisa Loeb
17. Good King Wenceslas – Relient K
18. Carol of the Bells – August Burns Red
19. Christmas – Blues Traveler
20. Little Saint Nick – Straight No Chaser
21. Christmas Day - Dido
22. The Twelve Pains of Christmas – Bob Rivers
23. Christmas Song – Dave Matthews
24. Merry Christmas Everybody - Oasis
25. Christmas Shoes – FM Static

So there you have my highlights for Christmas spirit music. Got any favorites of your own you'd like to share? Be like me, spread some cheer!

2 comments:

  1. I love the August Burns Red cover! It makes wanna mosh... In a Santa outfit! :P \m/\m/

    ReplyDelete