Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Goodreads Book Review - I Know This Much Is True

I Know This Much Is TrueI Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I have to admit, for the most of the time I spent reading this book, I hated it. I wasn't thrilled with the writing style or the way the plot jumps from time frame to time frame to time frame. I felt like I couldn't connect with any of the characters and because of that, I couldn't care about them, and if I couldn't care about the characters, why bother reading the thing at all? And while I still stand by some of that, a funny thing happened in the last 250 pages or so. Lamb pulled everything together and wrapped it up in a way that made me say, "Okay, this actually wasn't that bad now that I see it all in front of me." I was actually rooting for the main character, Dominick, and was happy to see the way he changed and the way his life wound up, even if I do think one or two aspects were a little too neat of a wrap-up. I also saw a few things that mirrored some of the trends in my life (nothing quite so dramatic as the events of this novel, but, parallels can be drawn, at least) and it gave me a lot to think about... and in the end, isn't that and a bit of entertainment the best we can ask for from a good book?



View all my reviews

Kicking off the new year with this, the twenty-fifth book I've read in my Recommended Reading Challenge. I've got a handful of books left on the list at the moment and still have about three-and-a-half months to go before the Challenge is over, so I could use some more. Share, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment