Thursday, January 17, 2013

Goodreads Book Review - The Angel's Game

The Angel's GameThe Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I was really looking forward to this follow-up prequel to The Shadow of the Wind, a book I really enjoyed that I rated four stars. That said, this book left me feeling really disappointed. The characters are just as strong but the plot, which starts out as a strong, compelling mystery just like in the first book, completely falls apart under the weight of its twists and turns and countless plot holes and completely falls apart before it gets to the ridiculous twist at the end that makes no sense whatsoever. The author leaves so many questions left unanswered... or perhaps they were answered but just made no sense whatsoever... that there is nothing fulfilling about the book at all except how the end makes clear just how much this ties into Shadow of the Wind. That reveal might have saved the book a little, except it was telegraphed halfway through. The first half of the book rates two stars. The rest... well, I'd say read it for yourself, but I don't know if that's a good idea.



View all my reviews

The Recommended Reading Challenge has reached twenty-eight books now, and while I'm happy to say I've enjoyed more of them than I haven't, this one left a bad taste in my mouth that I need to chase down with something yummy. Give me a good book, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment