Sunday, August 4, 2013

Goodreads Book Review - The Dark Legacy of Shannara: Wards of Faerie

Wards of Faerie (The Dark Legacy of Shannara, #1)Wards of Faerie by Terry Brooks

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


It's hard for me to fairly review a Shannara novel because going back to the seventh grade, so much of who I am and who I want to be is due to the writing of Terry Brooks. I usually love all his characters, as I do here. I usually love all his plots, despite some people's complaints that they can be formulaic (come on, all fantasy novels are formulaic, it's how the genre works), and this novel is no different. Yes, I love the characters and the plot that advances the world while hearkening back to its history, and I love the action. So why then the four stars instead of five? Some of the twists were predictable, and I felt the novel had some pacing problems; the set-up takes quite a long time but the climax races. Still, the last page put a smile on my face and made me want to dive right into the second part, which I'm just about to do now.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment