Thursday, April 17, 2014

Goodreads Book Review - Dangerous Women

Dangerous WomenDangerous Women by George R.R. Martin

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Anthologies are tricky beasts by nature. With the amount of talent involved and all the different writing styles, it's almost a guarantee that you aren't going to like every single story in a given anthology, but as they're usually based on one genre or another, you'll probably like the bulk of them. In the case of Dangerous Women, however, the theme isn't a genre, it's a character type (a theme that, incidentally, fails miserably more often than not, as half the stories are sexist and there are so few actual strong women to be found), and that makes things fuzzier, as the stories cross all different kinds of genres. That might go a long way toward explaining why out of twenty-one stories, I only seem to have enjoyed about five of them. Most of the stories were genres I could never get into. One thing I can say about this work is that the story by Jim Butcher finally got me interested in reading The Dresden Files, and I've already picked up the first book in the series and added it to my pile. On the flip side of that, George R. R. Martin's novella that wraps the book up was my first time reading his work (yes, I watch the show), and, while I enjoyed parts of it, it read way too much like a lesson in a history textbook and less like an actual story for my liking, and may have turned me off his writing. We'll see. There's a second chance coming for all this in the Rogues anthology I'll be getting to soon enough. 



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment