Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Goodreads Book Review - Reamde

ReamdeReamde by Neal Stephenson

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


I was very disappointed in this book. Pretty much the only aspect of it I enjoyed were the descriptions about the creation of the online game that is integral to the plot, and the only reason I enjoyed that much was because I'm a former WoW-er myself. The characters were alright but nothing special. The plot was convoluted beyond words and stretched credulity beyond any recognition of the word. All of that, however, I could have gotten over if not for the massive info dumps. The entire book, already too long as it is, is filled with massive blocks of text that have absolutely nothing to do with the story other than to provide background on something that is, at most, barely tangential to the plot. Any time I felt like the story was picking up speed and beginning to draw me in, one of those info dumps would happen and all it would do successfully was dump me right out of the story. Honestly, for me at least, all this book did successfully was make me want to play WoW again...



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment