Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Goodreads Book Review - Severed Souls

Severed Souls (Richard and Kahlan, #3)Severed Souls by Terry Goodkind

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


Wizard's First Rule is one of my favorite books of all time. It started a ten year love affair between me and the Sword of Truth series. I eagerly gobbled up each new book. I championed the series to other people. I loved everything about Goodkind's writing and his world. SO it breaks my heart to see how his decline has continued. This is one of the worst books I've ever read. It's ridiculously repetitive. There are pages and pages of the same thing over and over again, almost down to identical sentences repeated ad nauseam. It makes the characters seem stupid and insults the readers' intelligence, not to mention being flat-out boring. And speaking of a lack of intelligence, the characters speak with some of the most jilted, cliched dialogue I can imagine. Someone actually says, "From now on we're enemies!" Because that's something people, even fantasy people in a fantasy world, would ever actually say. Not to mention all the repetitive plot points and characters I won't spoil, but absolutely nothing about this book felt fresh, not even the cheap deaths. It took me weeks to read it because it was just such a joyless reading experience. I can only assume from the ending there's still at least one more book coming, and I have to admit I'll read it when it drops because after so long being a part of this I'll need to see how it ends, but after this installment I can't at all say I'm looking forward to it.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment