Monday, July 2, 2012

Revisiting the 10 Movies I'm Most Looking Forward to in 2012

A few months ago, I posted a list of the 10 movies I'm most looking forward to this year. Now that the year is half over and I've conveniently seen half of the movies on the list, I thought I'd touch base with that idea again and give a sort of progress report on the list.

10.) The Hunger Games
I gave this movie 3.5 stars out of five, and here's what I said about it when I reviewed it: "I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would, despite it's flaws... for example, it could have been paced better, would have benefited with tighter editing, and more characterization was needed for a lot of characters. Still, I thought it was a good movie, and one thing is for sure: Jennifer Lawrence is a friggin' star."

9.) The Bourne Legacy
This one still isn't out yet, but now that the trailers have been released, I'm looking forward to it even more.


8.) G.I. Joe: Retaliation
This got pushed back almost an entire year to March 29th, 2013. Whether you believe it was to do reshoots or add 3-D, or because they were scared after Battleship bombed so hard, or they just didn't want to compete with the competition this summer, it really doesn't bode well, does it?

7.) Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
After seeing the trailer for this, I said it was either going to be awesome or so awful it was awesome. I was wrong. It was just awful. I haven't seen things done to the vampire mythos this bad since Twilight. I can almost look past how now explanation is given for why sunlight doesn't bother them. What drove me crazy was how one becomes a vampire: if you're bitten by one and you have an impure soul, you become a vampire. If you have a pure soul when you're bitten... well, you just die. Also, vampires can't kill other vampires, because only the living can kill the dead. What? I mean, sure, it's a nice little catchphrase, but it's just stupid.

6.) Taken 2
This one isn't out yet either. If you saw the first Taken, then there's no way you don't want to see this; if you haven't, then what the hell is wrong with you??? Either way, here's the new trailer:


5.) The Expendables 2
The last as-yet-unreleased entry on the list, it's the sequel to one of the ultimate "guy movies" ever. How can you not love it?


4.) World War Z
Here's another one that got pushed back to sometime next year, which isn't too surprising. If you've read the book, you can imagine that all the disparate chapters and stories might be pretty challenging to weave together into a cohesive film. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if it'll make the list again next year.

3.) American Reunion
I really enjoyed this movie. You can read a little review of it here; just ignore the first half of the post, which is about the abomination known as Wrath of the Titans.

2.) Prometheus
This one left me feeling kind of underwhelmed. Here's what I had to say about it: "This sci-fi movie is definitely good enough. It's just that "good enough" isn't what one expects from a Ridley Scott sci-fi movie. That being said, it's worth watching. It's definitely filmed beautifully, and boy, that Michael Fassbender is great." It earned three out of five stars from me.

1.) The Cabin in the Woods
It's only fitting that movie I was most looking forward to this year is, with the exception of The Avengers, my favorite movie of the year. You can read an only slightly more detailed review here as I am incredibly wary of spoiling anything about this movie for anyone.

So that's how the list has shaped up thus far. What about you? What are you still looking forward to? What have been your faves so far this year? Let's discuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment