Stormtrooper Terry

Stormtrooper Terry

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Goodreads Book Review - What Did I Do Last Night?: A Drunkard's Tale

What Did I Do Last Night?: A Drunkard's TaleWhat Did I Do Last Night?: A Drunkard's Tale by Tom Sykes

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Maybe it's because I can identify with some of the alcohol-fueled endeavors mentioned in the book. Maybe it's because I can also identify with the author being a writer and therefore a frequently drunk writer like myself. Maybe it's because I can identify with the parental abandonment issues he has that may or may not have been what caused his alcoholism in the first place. Whatever the reason, I definitely enjoyed this book much more than the previous memoir that was recommended to me. Sykes writes with an honestly and sense of self-deprecation that i can definitely appreciate. His style leads to a fast and pretty enthralling read. All that being said, it's a memoir, and as I've described in detail on my blog before (found here), I'm not the biggest fan of memoirs because, for the most part, I don't see the point. Still, I enjoyed this one, and that's what counts.



View all my reviews

This was the fourth book in the Recommended Reading Challenge, and the second one I actually enjoyed. I'm starting to think I might give a prize at the end to the person who recommended my favorite book of the challenge, if I can come up with a suitable prize; so far, that prize would go to the person who gave me Boy's Life. We'll see what happens. Anyway, the next book on the list is John Dies at the End.

0 comments:

Post a Comment