Thursday, July 5, 2012

Goodreads Book Review - What Did I Do Last Night?: A Drunkard's Tale

What Did I Do Last Night?: A Drunkard's TaleWhat Did I Do Last Night?: A Drunkard's Tale by Tom Sykes

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Maybe it's because I can identify with some of the alcohol-fueled endeavors mentioned in the book. Maybe it's because I can also identify with the author being a writer and therefore a frequently drunk writer like myself. Maybe it's because I can identify with the parental abandonment issues he has that may or may not have been what caused his alcoholism in the first place. Whatever the reason, I definitely enjoyed this book much more than the previous memoir that was recommended to me. Sykes writes with an honestly and sense of self-deprecation that i can definitely appreciate. His style leads to a fast and pretty enthralling read. All that being said, it's a memoir, and as I've described in detail on my blog before (found here), I'm not the biggest fan of memoirs because, for the most part, I don't see the point. Still, I enjoyed this one, and that's what counts.



View all my reviews

This was the fourth book in the Recommended Reading Challenge, and the second one I actually enjoyed. I'm starting to think I might give a prize at the end to the person who recommended my favorite book of the challenge, if I can come up with a suitable prize; so far, that prize would go to the person who gave me Boy's Life. We'll see what happens. Anyway, the next book on the list is John Dies at the End.

No comments:

Post a Comment