Saturday, February 2, 2013

Goodreads Book Review - Heart-Shaped Box

Heart-Shaped BoxHeart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


While I didn't enjoy this as much as Horns (which is fine, a writer's second novel should be better than his first, after all), it was very close, so I'm giving it the same rating. What struck me most about this novel is that, underneath all the horror trappings and really effed-up things that are discovered, at its heart, I feel like it's a love story, and that's pretty awesome, considering how well-crafted the characters of Jude and Georgia are. They're both incredibly likeable, even for all their flaws. Even more well-crafted is the ghost, Craddock, who... well, for fear of spoilers, I'll just say he's a real sunovabitch and leave it at that. I'd give this a more in-depth review but I'm pretty sick and my brain isn't working all that well, so, you know, you should just read it for yourself.



View all my reviews

Twenty-nine books down, with two-and-a-half or so months to go til I'm done reading only books other people have recommended. I have a stack of books I want to read for myself waiting for me, and it's very tempting to dive into them now... but that's why it's called a challenge, right? Anyway, recommend something, please. Kgo.

No comments:

Post a Comment