Saturday, June 28, 2014

Goodreads Book Review - The Reaver

The Reaver (The Sundering, #4)The Reaver by Richard Lee Byers

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


In the last review I wrote, that one for Death Masks, the fifth book in Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series, I talked about chapters and how hard they can be for a writer. How to start them, how to end them, and how long they should be are all challenges, and a misstep in any of them can take a reader out of a story. And while I did like The Reaver (not as much as the other entries in The Sundering, though), the chapter length continually threw me off. The book is 326 pages long, and there are only twelve chapters. That's an average of like twenty-seven pages per chapter, and that's just a little too much. With that criticism out of the way, I have to say I enjoyed the book; I liked the story and the interesting characters who were all very well fleshed out. Plus it was a nice change to have at least one entry in this series be about new characters instead of the way the first three installments made me as a reader feel like I was coming into a play in the second act. I wouldn't mind reading another tale of these characters. Just, y'know, one with shorter chapters.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment