Monday, January 19, 2015

Goodreads Book Review - The Demonologist

The DemonologistThe Demonologist by Andrew Pyper

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I can't remember where I first heard of this book or what inspired me to pick it up, other than my twenty-year-old dreams of writing my own religious opus focusing on angels and demons, but I'm glad I did. Pyper's writing style is a little dry for my taste, especially in this book where dialogue is sometimes few and far between and there are blocks of description and exposition, but the story itself and the way it was framed was clever. And what interested me was that while the story is heavily built around Paradise Lost, it seemed like the main character was going through his own version of Dante's Inferno, which was a fun juxtaposition. The characters are all fully realized, with the exception of the one-note wife, and it's easy to pull for them. My other complaint aside from the writing style I mentioned above is the ending; it reached a fairly furious pace and then just sort of ended without anything that felt to me like a complete ending. I get how the character's journey ended, so it's not a matter of just not understanding it, it just felt too simple and abrupt given what had come before. Still, it was an enjoyable read.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment