Thursday, January 1, 2015

Out with the Old, In with 2015


Happy New Year, y'all. Just popping in after a night of way too little sleep (five hours, maybe) and a decent amount of alcohol, junk food, and a fun night with my wonderful girlfriend and our friends to usher 2014 out the door and welcome 2015 in the only way I know how: with words.

Well, beside copious drinking, that is.

I can't really decide if I'm happy to see 2014 go or not. On the one hand, I worked pretty steadily for a good ten months out of the year, and am currently on a temp assignment that is continuing through the new year. I made some strides with writing and my movie reviews, getting things published for the first time on a site I don't control (Film-Arcade.net) and joining the nominations and awards committee of a horror awards site (The Fright Meter Awards). Here's to starting the year off with shameless plugs, by the way! None of these things pay, but they're a step up the ladder. In addition, I finished up the year with 92 blog posts. That's still short of the most I've ever done in a year, 100, a number I hopped to top this year, but it's still good for my second highest year ever.

2014 was also an amazing year for fun times and events and stuff. I saw plenty of movies, obviously, a few Broadway shows, went to the Renaissance Fair for the first time, and just had some generally fun times with my friends. And of course, Marisa, my love; our life together keeps getting better. Every night I go to sleep next to her with a smile, and the smile is still there every morning I wake up next to her. It isn't always easy, and money is a struggle, but it's always worth it.

But 2014 was also the host of easily the worst time of my life when my grandmother, the most important parent I ever had, passed away fairly suddenly. It's been a little over three months now and I'm still not okay with it. I don't know if I ever will be.

So as I said, I'm torn about being done with 2014. But regardless of that, I'm ready to tackle 2015, ready to make the most of it and make it the best year I can. I wish the same for all my friends and family because, let's face it, we all deserve it.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment