Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Goodreads Book Review - Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Me and Earl and the Dying GirlMe and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I decided to read this mostly because I loved the movie and have run low on things to read. I was pleasantly surprised by it. Despite its protestations of not being a love story, it's definitely written with a lot of heart. The characters are fully realized and wonderfully brought to life. the format and writing style is creative and just a joy to read. The only drawback for me is that the main character (the "me," as it were) is written as being way, way to down on himself and the story he's telling, especially when narrating. I realize it's part of his characterization, trying to get over how bad his self-esteem is, but that point comes across plenty in his dialogue; it doesn't need to be hammered home again and again in his first person narration as well. Other than that little annoyance, however, I absolutely loved this book.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment