Monday, February 25, 2013

2013 Oscar Scorecard

How's everybody's Oscars hangover doing? I have to say, I enjoyed the hell out of the show last night. I liked the idea of the Oscars having a theme, and enjoyed all the love for musicals... because I guess Les Mis turned me into a musical queer, maybe, I don't know. And how about Seth Macfarlane as host, huh? I don't know about the rest of you, but I thought he was the best host the show has had in a long time.

And he had the most awesome back-up ever.
Before the show yesterday, I posted my prediction for the categories I actually care about, so I thought today I'd check the scoreboard and see how I did.

I was wrong about both Adapted and Original Screenplay, picking Lincoln and Zero Dark Thirty, respectively, when the winners were Argo and Django Unchained. Some writer I am, huh?

I got Best Animated Feature wrong, expecting Frankenweenie when the nod went to Brave, and I was equally wrong about Best Director, expecting Spielberg and getting Ang Lee (who I still haven't forgiven for Hulk. Someone needs to put him on the list of people who should give their Oscars back, along with Cuba Gooding, Jr.).

None of those instances of wrongness particularly surprised me, as I spend half my time incorrectly talking out my ass anyway, but I was surprised by Argo going over Lincoln for Best Picture. I'm sorry, I saw Argo and I just don't get all the love. I mean, it was alright and all, but Best Picture? Pfft. As far as I'm concerned, Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, Zero Dark Thirty, and Django Unchained were all better movies. But what do I know, right?

So if I got those five categories wrong out of the total nine I predicted... well, it wasn't a very good night when you consider the only ones I got right were the acting categories, and three out of the four of those were total gimmes. The only category of any suspense there was Best Supporting Actor, and I figured Waltz would win because the rest of the creepy and/or old men would cancel each other out. Anyway, the only wins I really cared about were for Anne Hathaway and Jennifer Lawrence, because they both really deserved it and I adore them both (although not in that order; J-Law has stolen the top spot in my actress book at this point).

But that doesn't mean I can't laugh at her spastic ass, right?
Now that it's all over, it's time to start watching some movies and looking forward to next year's show, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment