Sunday, February 3, 2013

Goodreads Book Review - I Am the Messenger

I Am the MessengerI Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I am utterly astounded at how much I liked this book. I'm generally really not the guy to fall for these sweeping testaments to the power of the human spirit, books filled examples of how the smallest moment of connection between two people... two strangers, even... can change lives forever. Honestly, I tend to think stuff like that is hokum at best, and absolute bullpucky at worst. Yet this book, with its wonderfully developed main characters and its simple yet beautiful prose hooked me into all that and made me believe in it completely to the point that, at the end, my eyes teared up a bit. This book really did take me by surprise more than anything else I've read in a very long time. My only complaint is the ending; the story itself ends wonderfully but the denouement goes on just a few pages too long, bypassing what would have been a very beautiful final sentence for a very ham-fisted one instead, choosing to beat the readers over the head with the book's final message. Still, I really enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it to anyone.



View all my reviews

I've gone through thirty recommended books now, and I'm really starting to run out. Help a brother out, someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment