Sunday, February 10, 2013

Goodreads Book Review - The Prisoner of Heaven

The Prisoner of HeavenThe Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This is the third book by this author I've read. It wasn't as good as the first, The Shadow of the Wind, but it was better than the second, The Angel's Game. The reason for this is that while it didn't have the kind of gripping, compelling mystery the first book had, the plot was much clearer than the muddled mess that was the second book; in fact, some of the reveals found within actually made the second book better. Also, it was nice to revisit the strong characters I really liked from the first book like the Semperes and Fermin. I would have liked it more if this book had more of a mystery to it instead of being more or less a straightforward retelling of Fermin's time in prison, but the story was still well-written, and it's easy to see the main purpose of this book was to catch us up with the characters and better align the first two books to set everything thing in place for the coming fourth and final book in the series. Of course, now the author has his work cut out for him, as expectations for that book are very high...



View all my reviews

So there goes the thirty-second book in the Recommended Reading Challenge, with a little over two months left to go. I'm about to start the next book today, but after that my well runs dry a bit, so I could use a few more good books to get me to the home stretch... so let's see what you got, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment