Thursday, May 9, 2013

Goodreads Book Review - NOS4A2

NOS4A2NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I've read Joe Hill's other books and always loved them, but with this one, he steps his game up to a whole new level. Honestly, it felt to me like it was closer to his father's work than his own previous novels; I don't say that to be pejorative or hint that he's following in his father's footsteps though. I just mean in terms of tone as it addresses childhood traumas and the supernatural power of natural objects. Beyond that, it is all Hill's, and it's all awesome. Usually when I read a novel of nearly 700 pages, I find myself looking at chapters here and there while I read them and say to myself, "This is totally unnecessary, if it was removed the book would be much better." There is not a page of this story where I thought that. Each and every page had me hungrily turning to the next one, and if not for the constraints of life and time, I think I'd have done nothing but sit and read this until I was finished with it in one sitting. The characters are fantastically realized. The plot is tight and creative and enthralling. The imagery... well, I'll just say this book gave me a nightmare so intense I actually woke up mid-yell. I can't recommend this book enough.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment