Monday, May 27, 2013

Mets Monday - Just One

Happy Memorial Day, y'all. If you're an avid follower of my blog (and let's face it, you probably aren't), you'll notice this is only the second Mets Monday post I've done this season. It's something I try to do fairly often this season, but, well, the Mets kind of suck. And when I say kind of, I'm being generous.

This is cogent to my point because Bobby Bonilla is the Mets' highest-paid outfielder this year.

Right now the Mets are eleven games under .500. The games are painful to watch because the team can't hit worth a damn so even if the starters throw a shut-out, they still lose. And when they do manage to throw a shut-out and the team hits, the bullpen coughs it up. And yet, I still watch the games (most of the time; sometimes those Big Bang Theory marathons on TBS look so much better...) because I'm a Mets fan and I love this team and as such, I know not to ask too much of them. Generally speaking I ask for just one thing to look forward to, just one reason to watch.

And that's what they give me.

Pitch with a bloody nose? No problem. Here's a strikeout for you.

That one reason is Matt Harvey, a 24-year-old starting pitcher who is currently 5-0 with an ERA of 1.93, 74 strikeouts and just 17 walks over 70 innings pitched in ten starts. Oh, and he's only come within a hair of both a no-hitter and a perfect game this season. His starts are the reason to watch the Mets this year.

Which is a shame, because with the Subway Series starting tonight, he can only pitch just one game, and that's tomorrow night. I'm not really expecting the Mets to beat the Yankees, who are the exact opposite of the Mets at eleven games over .500 and really are just a better team at this point (yes, it kills me to say that, but let's be honest here, there aren't many teams that aren't better than my Metsies, so it isn't an accomplishment, Yankees fans). No, the Mets aren't going to win the series, although I'd love it if they did. Hell, I don't really expect them to even split the series, which would only take two wins. I feel like two wins in four days might just be beyond them at this point. All I ask them to give me is one win tomorrow night.

Just one.

No comments:

Post a Comment