Thursday, January 16, 2014

2014 Oscars Nominees Announcement Reactions


The nominees for the 2014 Academy Awards were announced this morning, and, as usual, I was all over that shit.

Well okay, not really, because by the time I woke up the announcements were over. And also not really because, of the nine films nominated for Best Picture, I've only seen three (12 Years a Slave, American Hustle, and Gravity). I'll see them all, as well as any extraneous ones listed in the actor categories, before the show itself so I can do my usual predictions and whatnot, but until then, I can react to some things and, perhaps more accurately, just talk out of my ass a bit.

When it comes to Best Picture, I wasn't surprised by anything except the exclusion of Inside Llewyn Davis. I've not seen it yet, but with all the talk about it I was certainly expecting it to be there. Or, y'know, anywhere on the show, but it's nowhere to be found. Likewise, I'm surprised Blue is the Warmest Color is totally missing, considering all the hype.

I guess the Academy doesn't enjoy poorly-plotted movies about absolutely nothing that aren't anything more than the veil a creepy old director used to see just how far he could get two actresses to go sexually for "art."

Yeah, I said it.


I hated that fucking movie.

In terms of directors, I'm not sure there's any way Alfonso Cuaron doesn't win. I'm not saying I think Gravity should win Best Picture or anything, but he did an amazing job on that one.

Best Actress is totally up in the air in my mind, but is there any possible way Best Actor goes to anyone other than Chiwetel Ejiofor? You'd have to put in an astounding performance to beat him. We'll see. Right now Fassbender put in my favorite performance of the Supporting Actor ones I've seen, and you all know I'll be pulling for Jennifer Lawrence in the Best Supporting Actress category, of course.


Those are the sort of immediate thoughts I had today. I'll say a lot more once I've seen all the movies, something I'm looking forward to doing because this really is an incredibly strong selection of films this year. Anybody else feel like sharing their thoughts or having a wonderful debate about mine? Shoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment