Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Goodreads Book Review - Gone Girl

Gone GirlGone Girl by Gillian Flynn

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I want to start out by saying that Gillian Flynn probably has one of the most brilliant and imaginative minds of any author I've read in a long time; to be able to come up with a story so layered with double and triple meanings and so full of twists and turns and swerves is really just creatively genius. This story kept me guessing right up to the last page (okay, that's hyperbole, it only kept me guessing up to the second-to-last page, but you get the point). It's hard to say anything more about the plot of the book without giving away spoilers because the twists start jumping at you as early as the end of the first chapter, but I will say that it takes the basic plot of a wife gone missing and addresses all the associated tropes in a way that turns them all on their ear, and it is entertaining the whole addictive, hard-to-put-down way through. The only reason I didn't give the book four stars is that the structure requires you to get into the minds of two rather unlikeable people through first-person narration, and the awfulness of those leads detracted from my enjoyment just a little bit. Other than that, this is an amazing read.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment