Tuesday, May 20, 2014

I'm Givin' Her All She's Got, Captain...

...but I need more time!


Here's a post I've promised for a week now: the one that rants about how there just aren't enough hours in the day anymore for me to do all the things I want to do. There are about six blog posts I've been meaning to write that are just too time-consuming at the moment. Seriously, there's one about TV shows that has grown to include eight different topics... at this point I think I might just wait until it hits ten and make it into a nice, neat list. I'm still hoping to hit a hundred posts in a year for the second time in my blogging career, but I just don't know anymore. And clearly there's no fiction-writing getting done at all.

There are also a stack of comics on my computer going back over a month now that I haven't been able to read. You know, I used to lament the change in writing style that took comics from something that used to take at least ten minutes an issue to read to something that can be breezed through in half the time in a lot of cases, or I'd never get anywhere. And in the same vein, books! I'm trying to keep up with my challenge to read at least fifty again this year, and so far I'm on track. Barely.

As for visual entertainment? I'm watching TV shows days after they air, trying to avoid spoilers and failing miserably. It's a good thing most shows are wrapping up for the season now or I just wouldn't be able to handle it. Of course new shows are starting soon too, so the cycle keeps going. And I'm so far behind on movies, there's just never any time for them!

Okay, full disclosure: that last one isn't true; I'm still seeing a movie a week or so in theaters and, before I started writing this blog on the work computer today I watched a movie on it, and will probably watch another or two before the day is over...

So what's to blame for all this falling by the wayside like this?

This job, for one thing. Ten-and-a-half-hour shifts, plus travel time each way, plus exhaustion and the need to sleep afterwards. It makes things impossible.

And then there's my girlfriend, who I have to spend the weekend with every weekend so none of these things get done. And as if that wasn't enough for her, I also have to take her out at least once during the week, too! Talk about time-consuming. Between her and work, there's just never any time anymore.

There's never any time!


In case you can't tell, this post is satirical in nature. While yes, it's true that I could use some more time to do some of the things I enjoy, there's no two ways around the fact that I love my life right now. I'm being paid extremely well to do...well, not a whole lot. Yes, the shifts are long right now, but this schedule gives me three-day weekends, and who doesn't love that? And I'm madly in love with my girlfriend and enjoy every moment we spend together and wouldn't trade them for anything. So yes, while there might not be enough time for everything I want to do (including blessed, miraculous sleep), I couldn't be happier.

Although I wouldn't mind getting through those comic books...


No comments:

Post a Comment