Thursday, May 1, 2014

Goodreads Book Review - Storm Front

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)Storm Front by Jim Butcher

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


For the longest time and without any good reason, I'd avoided the Dresden Files series. Even though the idea of a modern detective wizard plays right into my wheelhouse, I never bothered to give it a shot. Then I read the Dangerous Women anthology and Jim Butcher's short story therein and was immediately interested in reading more... and I'm glad I did. This book is really entertaining. Yes, it falls into a lot of the tropes of the genre and doesn't do much of anything new, but for a first novel from an author just finding his footing, it's not a bad outing at all. Fun characters set in an environment that slowly unfurls around you in a story that is full of memorable scenes and the promise of better things to come once the set-up of the first novel is out of the way. I'm definitely interested in reading the rest of the series now.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment