Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Goodreads Book Review - The Lesser Dead

The Lesser DeadThe Lesser Dead by Christopher Buehlman

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Despite how much I enjoyed Buehlman's The Necromancer's House, I ended up really disappointed in this one. Not because of the writing, such as it is; the author's style is very enjoyable and has a lot of artistic merit. His characters are great, his scenes are painted vividly, and the world he sets up is fully realized and alive on the page. The problem for me is that, as much as I liked how the book started, it ended up very much not being the story I wanted it to be. And yes, I understand that that is of course the writer's prerogative, and was in fact possibly even the entire point, as the coda touches on (that coda is also the saving grace of the end of the story for me). Still, it just ended up leaving me unfulfilled and disappointed, hence the low score despite how good the writing itself actually is.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment