Thursday, April 23, 2015

Goodreads Book Review - Furies of Calderon

Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, #1)Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I picked up this book because I'm all caught up with the Dresden Files and, since I'm short on things to read since my self-imposed Star Wars boycott, thought I'd give Butcher's other series a shot. It's not as good as the Dresden Files, but it's alright. The characters are fully realized and have great depth and nuance, no surprise considering the author, and the action scenes are fun. The intrigue is interesting too, even if some of it is fairly telegraphed. The story itself didn't grab me as much as I'd hoped, but he had a lot of world-building to do here, and it was good enough to make me want to read the next installment. My only real gripe is that I feel like he could have done more with the idea of the Furies, had more of a variety than just six, as it becomes, "Oh, another watercrafter" or "Oh, another firecrafter," but we'll see where it goes.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment