Monday, April 13, 2015

Goodreads Book Review - Rise of the King

Rise of the King (Companions Codex, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #26)Rise of the King by R.A. Salvatore

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


It isn't often that a Salvatore book, especially a Drizzt one, gets less than four stars from me. But as much as I enjoyed the drow intrigue and characters like Jarlaxle and Gromph Baenre, I had a problem with how much focus was given to side characters at the detriment of the main characters. I mean, it's a hundred and some odd pages before the Companions of the Hall appear for more than half a chapter, and they're shortly separated again, spoiling the pleasure of having them back together. That aside, Salvatore's plot is fine, although it fills like there's some filler here. And of course, his action scenes are top notch, as they always are. I just usually expect more from a book in the Legend of Drizzt series, and am hopeful the next installment will give me more of what I've come to expect.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment