Friday, June 26, 2015

Goodreads Book Review - Princep's Fury

Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5)Princeps' Fury by Jim Butcher
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

If there's one thing that can be said for what Jim Butcher does in this series, it is that he's absolutely great at the big moments; whether those moments are ones of revelations or of the payoffs of an emotional journey, he sticks the landing every time. The characters grow and change, they succeed or fail, and, unlike some other book series out there, they face the consequences of both success and failure. The other thing I think Butcher really nails in this installment in particular is making us feel what the characters feel. Tavi and his friends and, really, every character in the story are facing not just a life or death struggle but the end of their entire world, and there is an appropriate sense of tension throughout the book that is very real and very palpable. I felt so pulled along by things that I picked up the final installment the very second after I finished reading this one. Sounds like the mark of a great book and a great author to me.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment